Saturday 20 June 2009

Speaking of which


SILVERSTONE...I took this with my trusty Rolleiflex mid fifties during a vintage race,wheel departing from its master just as they passed by. In those days one could stand right alongside the track,health and safety hadn't been thought of yet but if you stepped actually on to the track a steward would shout at you not very politely. The gentleman on the left wearing a flat cap as most racing enthusiasts did,far better than those ghastly baseball caps now being warn.
The workman on the ladder didn't fall off. The car remained upright.This photo doesn't show all the sparks that were flying.

3 comments:

  1. Blips on my computer lead me to believe my last comment wasn't despatched. Mid to late fifties was when I used to the motor races, Silverstone, Goodwood, even Mallory Park. Fangio was the hero of the day then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One could see the drivers then! and watch them fighting the steering wheel on the corners.

    ReplyDelete