Friday 20 February 2009

Blog author in flight......1944

You may have noticed this blog is big on pictures and short on words.
This is because I did my schooling in wartime when teachers were usually exceedingly old and couldn't see the back of the classroom enabling me to be drawing,looking out of the window or having a quiet chat,anything but study. however I was good at drawing and sports so that got me off the hook. I then left school at fourteen and was apprenticed to my father as an artist and spent the next three years sailing boats on the Essex marshes and keeping out of my fathers way who was very decent about it. then a short spell at art school studying girls as my time was short because at 18 I had to do national service and two years in the army. So education never really came into it,thank god for spellcheck but they don't do one for grammar punctuation etc hence big on pictures,short on words.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the peek into the life of G.

    It wasn't all an idle life I am sure, who needs words and commas when you can do such good art?

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several of my teachers had come back from the war and used to fill French lessons with tales of fighting. Looking back I think some of them were quite shell shocked.
    I am impressed with your high jump. I was only good at the sack race because I was small enough to be able to run while inside one.

    ReplyDelete