Friday 20 February 2009

Studio in Essex

My father Leslie Grimes at work in his studio in Essex,he was a cartoonist for a London evening paper right through the war and for the last few years of it moved the family out to the country to live in Strood villa on the Essex marshes. The painting on the right is one of his ,he was a very proficient painter,the desk on the left was mine where I was supposed to be drawing but if he looked over his shoulder out of the window he most probably would have seen me sailing a boat out on the Pyefleet marshes,far better than edification?

2 comments:

  1. What lovely memories in a photo.

    You were up late last night!!! After midnight I was in the land of dreams. 5 am-ish saw me up reading blogs this morning though.

    Later on we are hoping to wrap up warm and stroll along the prom at Bexhill on Sea.

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to help one of my brothers paint scenery in Bexhill,The Delaware Pavilion(they were very fussy about paint spots on the floor) and another little theatre Ive forgotten the name of, for a rep company. Used to stay in a flat on the prom and wake up to the sound of the surf...lovely.

    ReplyDelete