Thursday 5 March 2009

another fairground

This one I painted in a barrack room 1952 while doing national service.Painting in a barrack room shared with a lot of burly soldiers is no mean feat but I was surprised how helpful they were,even the sergeants ! The paint is mostly printers ink that I lifted from the stores.When the education officers heard about me painting they found out I was entitled to an allowance for materials,a meal and transport to go to a further education college in a nearby town to enroll in an art class one evening a week, also a small army lorry and driver to get me there.You can imagine how popular I became as there was space in the back for quite a lot of soldiers looking for a night out in the town . Shortly after I started the art master became sick and left and I ended up teaching the class for several months,didn't get paid for that though but I was a happy bunny helping my country fight the cold war.

1 comment:

  1. Another good one if a little dark, but I expect that was because of the medium you had to hand.
    Nice story and a bit of insight into what formed your artistic life. 1952 eh! Gosh how time does fly. My eldest daughter celebrated her 50th birthday yesterday... reminds me how ancient I am getting.
    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete