Wednesday 18 November 2009

The scooter days

During the early sixties we had the weekend use of this cottage in Dorset,quite a few hours drive from London by scooter, an adventure in those days as main roads were few and far between and it was mile after mile of winding lanes. Seems a different world now with motorways and traffic jams.
England is still the same size but seemed so much larger then,every town looked different but in the fifties and sixties the rot was just starting as the councils were gutting out the old buildings and building the new ghastly town shopping centres all looking exactly the same.
This sort of cottage was lived in by the local villagers.Well out of their reach now.

6 comments:

  1. I often wonder why I never appreciated England when I lived there! I grew up in an idyllic village and then spent a long time in London but I just took things for granted. You obviously didn't or you wouldn't have taken this photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Geraldgee, found you at Mr. Toast's blog. This is such an adorable cottage. I saw some like this once upon a time when I was on a sort of Thomas Hardy tour of Dorset ...as it were....Have they all been bought up by collectors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes England did seem bigger then. I think it was partly that when you traveled any distance you went through town centres and then out into countryside. There was a rhythm to it almost. Now it is a continuous journey along a motorway corridor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At my art school BB there was quite a movement against high rise and shopping centres.
    I think we were right!
    Once upon a time architects in this country had to go to Art school before learning architecture,but that was abolished for some reason.
    Love your blog firelight,especially some of the photos in your sidebar. Most of the old cottagers are now just second homes for the wealthy and sit empty for months on end also killing village life.
    I quite agree Alan. Not much pleasure in motoring any more but then in the old days not so many people could own a car.I think those lovely old winding roads and narrow streets town centres would be impossible now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have hit the proverbial nail on the head Gee, as always. You are so good at reminding us what we have lost and it hurts. Sadly nothing you or I can do.
    Lovely cottage, and yes, way too pricey now for locals.

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the England I knew. This is the type of setting dreams are made of. Today, a cottage like this would be a novelty, and probably cost and arm and a leg...

    ReplyDelete